Welcome to GIS Butterfly

GIS- Geographic Information Systems (English)
GIS- Global Information Science (ASL)
Butterfly- A colorful insect that flies from flower to flower pollinating and bring joy to the onlooker.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Reflections from Spa Deena ~ Summer 2018


Healing a Broken Heart



My art the past few years has been a sign of the journey. 
Just Breathe

This piece was  made 2 1/2 years ago when meeting with the "I am well" ladies. We talked about creating balance in our life. At that point of brokenness I just needed to breathe. It seems very insightful that I wrote on this board, When I stop fearing failure, I become an artist.  Fear of failure has been a big deal to overcome. This group of ladies encouraged me to put myself out there, taking baby steps I did slowly come out of my cocoon.

The Colors of Rain

The Colors of Rain was another multimedia project. My world view had dulled and there was lack of luster and interest as well as the effort it took to do anything to make a change. Sounds like a definition of depression. I have PTSD and the effort to get out of bed was mostly to escape the place the nightmares lived. A year ago I went to a Christian counselor and began unwrapping the layers of depression and oppression that were keeping  me afraid. I knew the colors were there, but I felt none of it stuck to me.

Light at the End of the Tunnel

The Light at the end of the Tunnel was a finger painting. It was meant to be abstract and messy. I felt my life was messy, but I knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel of my tree lines avenue. The wind is at my back pushing through the storm. 
 It took until this past fall when I left my second job with kids and began working at Pier 1 to see what (or who) was the storm. That was the scariest things I have done since moving to Redding in August 2015. Letting go of the control of my finances and allowing God to show me what way this tree line path would lead.

Advice from a Sunflower

Advice from a Sunflower was an example of what I was going to be doing in the future. I had learned to do a lot of different lettering formats in High School Art (1970 something). These skills had not been used a lot and it seemed that everyone uses a computer for this type of artwork. Recently, I have met people who do personalized invitations and wall art with hand drawn lettering. A few months ago I learned that at my store we make a chalk board sign regularly by hand. I have volunteered to make the sign since then.

Pier 101

This week my sign was near and dear to my heart. Making a small space have a big statement is my "spec-ee-ality". The Nest is just 748 square feet. A perfect size for me, but when I start a project it is time to roll up the yoga mate or eat in my chair while I create. 

Today I decided to change a pair of  short/shorts into cool 1970's short. I wanted to be able to show the girls at school in the "Booty Shorts" that there are options. I am hoping to encourage them to use their creativity, and maybe I'll even get a sewing club started or something...

1975 Kenmore going strong

4 inch post - it, "Just No!"

That should pass the dress code police




My project this week is to make Baby Doll Clothes for Em, but first I had to fix my shorts. We have a 4 inch or Post-it Note rule with shorts at my school. Unfortunately, most stores sell these cuffed up shorts that have the fabric, but are not hemmed which is also part of the dress code. The post-it does show that the inseam is 4 inches, but that is not the way these short usually fit.  By adding my 1970's trim and lowing the leg to the full length of the cloth, it is more like a 6 inch inseam. Very comfortable for my short legs.

I'm excited to see what will happen in my future. I have put the past behind this week. My journal is full of the insights God gave while turning over every care to HIM. ~Breathe~ 

Now...I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

~ Breathe~ 

εїз








No comments:

Post a Comment