Welcome to GIS Butterfly

GIS- Geographic Information Systems (English)
GIS- Global Information Science (ASL)
Butterfly- A colorful insect that flies from flower to flower pollinating and bring joy to the onlooker.

Sunday, July 29, 2018

Hidden Treasures in Dark places





By now most people in the United States with a TV or computer have heard of the Carr Fire and a great many people around the world. I don't have TV or a computer, but with my phone I still could have been well informed.
I have lived in the Redding area since 1985, I raised my four children on the boarder of Shasta and Tehama Counties. Three years ago my son and I moved into Redding city limits. Last Thursday he and my oldest daughter were evacuated from their homes. We are thankful to report that the fire was stopped only a 1/2 miles to the West and North and the spot fire that was 5 houses away was put out without much damage to their little block of homes.

This was the fire map released this morning

In the summer of 2013 I spent about 40 hours of my summer working on the base map for the GIS. That is where I got the name: GIS-Butterfly. The information I collected and applied to this base map was what the first responders use when identifying a structure. It makes me proud to know that I was able to help in a small way.

There is no doubt in any of the minds of those living in Shasta County that this was a "Hellish" experience. A few weeks ago, we had had our 10 days of 100 plus heat days and were grumpy about hot winds and homeless people asking for handout at all our grocery stores. I say, "WE", I may not have said it out loud, but I can't say it doesn't gross me out to see a man dig through my trash can in front of Pier 1 every day.

Four days after the fire began and I don't know where all those sad people living on the street of Redding have gone. The streets are almost empty, because of the smoke. 519 structures have been reported destroyed and 35,000 people are evacuated. I am at a loss as to what I should do next...

My church is inside the evacuated part of Redding. The fire has been stopped from going farther into Redding City limits and Redding City Church is saved. However, we could not meet today and were invited to Little Country Church for worship today. It seems the grumblers didn't stop when the homeless disappeared from the streets, then it was said, "Why aren't the mega churches of Redding opening their doors?"

Today Pastor Rick at Little Country explained how the program works:

* Red Cross is in-charge of all evacuation housing, they open each "Registered" location as needed
* First Responders are in-charge of their own supplies and personnel needs
* Salvation Army is second after Red Cross

Our animal shelters have so much food they are sending it away. Everyone wants to help, but you need to go through channels. Little Country has been asked to be a 24 hour rest place for Fire Crews. It was 113 degrees one of the days of the fire.The clouds provided by the fires have cut the temps to 105 the past two days. The Red Cross is opening up each Church, School and Large Building in the order that they see fit.

Do you need help or have resources to give

Not to say that private organizations and individuals can't do their own thing too. Just don't show up without asking at Red Cross, they have a process to volunteer. If you want to help in the local church community Little Country has an application for volunteers and if you need assistance

Doulas in Shasta county stage a diaper give away at Kid Kingdom

Farmers donated Produce to a Red Bluff Shelter

A friend of my daughters bought a truck load of water and
said that he would deliver on Facebook

Thank You for Your Service

FIRE FIGHTERS

My car may look like this,
but take a second look at the Fire Fighter


Law Enforcement
The Young People Who Did This:

Thank💓You
Fire Fighters

Law💙Enforcement 

+First Responders

National Guard
My son-in-law left home to
help with the evacuation Patrols

New Beginnings

A woman spoke at church today who had lost her home. She has two teenagers. She said, "God has been in control through this entire week. He set things ahead 7 years ago to begin the friendship to the folks that we are staying with..." Jokingly she added, "The honey-do list is gone for my husband and I don't have to worry about the laundry getting done." Times will be hard for these folk, but God has refined them in the fire

True Super Heros

You can see plenty of crazy, scary pictures of fire and smoke. There are awful pictures of destroyed neighborhoods and smokey skies. I just want all who read this to know Redding is strong. We have a great faith community working together. We have great people who claim no faith, but are working for the greater good. We love our community and the resources that we have to share with the world.
I pray for the Phoenix of Redding to rise from the ashes.

We are a blessed people. 🦋



Spa Deena is still on the road

I continue to house-set and care for my friends homes and animals while they vacation.
Next week I plan to have the finished product ready to mail for the Em's "BIG 02". 2/19/18










  


No comments:

Post a Comment