Welcome to GIS Butterfly

GIS- Geographic Information Systems (English)
GIS- Global Information Science (ASL)
Butterfly- A colorful insect that flies from flower to flower pollinating and bring joy to the onlooker.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

“…with God.” ~ Matthew 19:26

I wish I had a quarter for every time someone asked me, “What is GIS?” Geographical Information Systems is basically making maps with information collected to provide a service. It is much more than that, but that is the basic use. The service could be trails, a system of maintenance for trees on a campus, or providing marketing information for a possible new location of a supermarket, the purposes are unending in the civilian world as well as the military. The part that makes this different from just making a map is that there are attributes with the maps that can be keyed in to: created, review, updated, and a number of other possibilities.The greatest part is that these maps are changeable and can even be 3D and time lapsed.
      This last week I have been working on a class assignment that involved 3 D images and raster layers that are comprised of cell data. 
       Last night I worked on the project and told myself to put it on a mental shelf and get back to it after I had more information from my instructor. I took out my counted cross stitch and worked on that until I was ready to fall asleep.
      My mind obviously was not finished trying to solve the GIS puzzles. In a dream I was working on my GIS project again. But in the dream... I had my base-map of the aerial view of our house, a building shape file for the house and pump house, another vector file with the entire yard of wild violets in the lawn (basically a page of dots) and I was working on the project of how to map the need of fixing a bad spot in the lawn caused by a dead carcass.  A little disturbing to say the least. I was so glad to look out the back door and only see overgrown grass.
I told the instructor today that everyone should be required to do a counted cross stitch in the g
class to work out their projects when the computers is being gluggish.   I’m not sure the spelling of that but it is when you want to fix it with a hammer.

      So, I got the new instructions to go through tomorrow. I am almost finished with this beginner project  in counted-cross stitch so that I can submit my intermediate project for the sisterhood  of farm girls badge. I was submitting my bird picture as an intermediate badge, but I needed a beginning project. It has been nice to have a simple project.

                                            


    But Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” 
(Matthew 19:26 ESV)




No comments:

Post a Comment