Welcome to GIS Butterfly

GIS- Geographic Information Systems (English)
GIS- Global Information Science (ASL)
Butterfly- A colorful insect that flies from flower to flower pollinating and bring joy to the onlooker.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

What is GIS and why do I care?


     GIS (Geographical Information Systems) are all around us. “Oct 29, 2005 ... The personal information cloud is a new and interesting way of looking at information…” http://futurememes.blogspot.com/2005/10/next-gen-information-cloud.html
     I learned that I have a knack for using the software to retrieve the information and put it into a readable form.  I am only a beginner in a field that has changed so much that if had I entered it 20 years ago I would be almost in the same place I am now; learning it as it unfolds in the public sector. This cloud of information is floating above us waiting to be used; unfortunately exploited by some, but also used in a way that will help people. Some are completely sanguine about the GST (Geo-spatial Technology) thinking that we can solve the world problems. Others are completely skeptical and think that “Big Brother” is going to rule our lives with all the information he has on us through our modern technology. I believe most are just blindly using whatever technology they can to get the most benefit and personal pleasure to make it through the 24 hours of the day.
    I want to be in the smaller percentage that is knowledgeable enough to use the information wisely for the most common good I can conceive. As a student intern currently I am only beginning to understand basic software usage, and a lot of that is finding out how to work with the kinks in the system. I see the world as a Big Blue Marble in the hand of God, our creator. In Psalm 104:24, “O Lord, how manifold are your works!” http://www.esvbible.org/Psalm+104/
     Since I was a child I have loved being outside and helping people or all ages. I am just beginning to explore the possibilities in GIS and not sure what my niche will be, but I know my heart is to serve not to be served. In upcoming blog posts I will throw out some of the possibilities. I am looking forward to my first California Geographical Society conference at the end of April. I hope to come home with more questions to explore after that trip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment