Welcome to GIS Butterfly

GIS- Geographic Information Systems (English)
GIS- Global Information Science (ASL)
Butterfly- A colorful insect that flies from flower to flower pollinating and bring joy to the onlooker.

Friday, August 9, 2019

Last Day of Summer Break


 

Summer of My Babies having Babies

28 years ago I began the journey of my "Four in Five Years." They are now 28, 26, 24 and 23. (The  one who is 24 gave up claiming the half year some time back)
My summer began with my oldest sister getting to adopt two granddaughters as her oldest daughter married a man with two amazing children. I got to meet my new great-nieces and fell in love at first sight.
Family Fun the night before the wedding

Only a few weeks later my daughter from Sacramento came up with my adorable granddaughters for three days. We decorated 100 cupcakes to look like Sloths and headed to Eureka for Daughter #3 to have a baby shower. 

July

My July goal was to complete my name change. Restoring my maiden name. While I was at this change across the board, I also decided to get a passport. I turned in the application last week for the passport and have a wallet full of cards that say I am: 
Deena Marie Orr
The real ID was the hardest to get:$27,  2 former marriage licenses, one divorce with name change, birth cert, two bills address to me and my new social security card. Then I photo copied it all again for the passport...I didn't know they would take my original birth certificate, but she promised it would come back to me soon.

Another fun thing I did in July was to teach 15 Chinese students arts and crafts for three days. It was the most fun I have had in a long time with teenagers. They say some funny things and they think we do some funny things. One of the boys said it was weird that Americans brush their teeth after breakfast. Who knew?

I have done a lot of house sitting through the past few months. The calendar has one more month scheduled to complete my 22 weeks of house sitting for the first 40 weeks of 2019.Whatever 2020 holds for me, Deena Marie Orr will be ready to fly at a moments notice 😂

August

August has been a bitter sweet month already. One of my house sitting gigs involved watching the elderly mother of the folks who owned the house. We had a lot of fun together, but she missed her husband who passed away last fall. My dear friend passed away on Aug 2nd, my 60th birthday. I didn't know for a couple of days and celebrated my birthday to the fullest.

Friends meet me at a local Pub and we had a great time listening to a band that did Elton John and Billy Joel songs until 11 pm. A few days later, I discovered that my friend was in the arms of her dear husband and Jesus. I had visited her earlier in the week at the nursing home where she gave me a huge smile as I left. I couldn't ask for more.

The Lord gives and the Lord takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord.

Then HE gives again. My youngest daughter had her baby yesterday...but that is a tale for another day...

August 12th and 13th we have teacher meetings and prep days. The kiddos will be at the gate when I arrive Wednesday morning at 7:15 a.m. for our first day of the 2019-2020 school year. A normal routine sounds good. My alarm hasn't been set, but my body has been waking at 5:30 a.m. (I wont chance that when school start). 

My "four in five years" have said that they will all meet in Redding area for a photo with all their significant others and the three grandchildren in the next few months. They will also have a photo taken for my wall at that time. I'm excited to meet the latest addition that shares my birthday week and another Leo like my first granddaughter who will be THREE next week. I added another stone to my Tree of Life necklace today. What a great gift that was from Abbie. 
It came with 24 stones, so I have a lot already in mine
Onward and Upward. My next scheduled day off will be Labor Day. Pier One will give me the same amount of days I have been working in the summer on weekends and a couple of late afternoon/evening shifts. The air is clear and beginning to cool at night. We have so much to be thankful this August day of 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment