Welcome to GIS Butterfly

GIS- Geographic Information Systems (English)
GIS- Global Information Science (ASL)
Butterfly- A colorful insect that flies from flower to flower pollinating and bring joy to the onlooker.

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Fall Retreat and Reflection

This is the place I sat last Summer before school started as the most horrific fire of my life wiped out a little over 1,000 homes and 3 fatalities. We had smokey day/ indoor recess for the first month of school. The Carr fire wasn't the end, as the Delta and then Hertz fires merged to the north it seemed as if our community had been surrounded by fires. The news today called it "Fire Scar" as they discuss the effect we will have when the rains begin this week.

The Carr/Delta/Hertz fires were awful and many people lost homes as well as wildlife and all the other effects. We have been left with our faces in shadow, many people I have served at Pier 1 are still in a state of shock and anger for the loss of their possessions. Many others are overjoyed with the simplest thing I could do to help replace a loved piece of china or home decor.

As our Holiday season began their were high wind warnings the first week of November and within a day the entire town of Paradise to the south was gone. Current statistic: Camp Fire
* 151,000 acres burned
* 12,637 residence known burned
* 79 known dead (3 firefighters)
*Missing over 1,000 reported missing persons

The smoke has blown south to the Sacramento area where my daughter is in her final month of pregnancy and then back up her to me. I had my first day off for a couple of weeks and slept almost 24 hours straight. I'm not fighting fires, I am just staying alive in the storm.

Meanwhile, life goes on. The elderly gentleman that I visited with last summer at this house passed away a couple of weeks ago. Ouch.
My nieces' father pasted away last month. Ouch.
I had misunderstanding with a co-worker. Ouch.
I have been working 7 days a week except when I got sick last weekend. I will work seven days a week from Nov.26 until Dec. 21st.

This is my personal reality. It is The Holiday Season from Oct 31st to Jan. 1st, 2019. I don't feel like celebrating. Three years ago I went to a monastery outside of Vina, CA for three days over Thanksgiving break. Father Anthony and the other monks were wonderful in their service and allowance of personal retreat.
This week I am on a similar adventure. I plan to spend the next three days in quiet and rest. I have my needs met and two lovely animal companions in the house and a garage cat as well.
Many people think it is important to show love and giving this time of year. I feel the need to do it all year around. I live to give when I see need.

Kona is mostly outside and Phoebe spends
her time at my feet

Splurged and got a manicure today
Using money I saved from Summer House Sitting I bought a new chair today.
Chas by Pier 1

It was fun to give my Pappasan away today to a coworker. Chas is a much easier way to read and enjoy the hummingbird.

Please hug your loved ones and tell them how much you love them. That is what Thanksgiving is all about. In all things give Thanks.






No comments:

Post a Comment