Welcome to GIS Butterfly

GIS- Geographic Information Systems (English)
GIS- Global Information Science (ASL)
Butterfly- A colorful insect that flies from flower to flower pollinating and bring joy to the onlooker.

Monday, July 6, 2020

July 2020

Five Year Recap

If you have ever read my blog, you know I am a creature of reflection. 
When someone asks me where I see myself in 5 years... Buddy, I'm ...
However, setting a Five Year Goal in 2015 was not part of my life system and now I am really thankful that I didn't take the time.

In 2015 my July blog post was being written in a Starbucks in Redding. My life as it was would be changing radically as my 28 year marriage was ending and my son and I would be moving to Redding in August. As always, self-care was the theme. Ian was in EMT classes and I was driving him the 25 miles from Cottonwood to Redding for class while I worked the summer for the YMCA camps. 
In 2016 I was working 40 hour weeks for YMCA camps. Abbie was having my first Grandchild in August and my skin was tired of sun. I sewed and crafted all my free hours. I had worked so hard the past year to live in a nice apartment. I was tired and lonely.

In 2017 we lost Taylor. They say that the loss of a child is the worst experience a mother can have... I don't dispute that, but watching my son loose the love of his life in a medical procedure that was going to save her life...well that was the hardest experience I have every had to endure. My mother died 30 years before Taylor and I did not feel as helpless as I did on July 4th 2017. 

In 2018 I embraced my artwork.  An eclectic collection of the journey I had been on for the past 59 years. I was no long with YMCA and had been enjoying a year at Pier 1 Imports for my second job. 
My heart was releasing pain, heart ache, joy and hopefulness in all kinds of art. Even at Pier One I got to express my talents.
Last July I had just finished my last book review. In the past decade I have reviewed a dozen  newly released books for authors in the women's self discovery genre. The Middle Matters by Lisa-Jo Baker was the last book I reviewed. At the beginning of June I had gone to San Francisco for one of my niece's wedding. Then at the end of June Abbie and I had gone to the coast with her girls for Johanna's baby shower. I was in the middle of changing my name back to my maiden name and getting all the Real ID so that I could travel this year. I even got my passport. Pier 1 was still my main summer job and I looked forward to the school year at my new site which I had transferred to in March.

Enter 2020

We just did not see it coming. Six month into 2020 and I still can't believe how my world is different than past years. For most of my life I worked full time and until my sister, Elaine, took me on a vacation a few years ago up the Oregon Coast I had never gone on a vacation. Last year I vacationed vicariously through my friends. They traveled the world and I house sat for them. Then I got my passport and considered using it this fall.

Enter COVID-19 Quarantine. Nearly three months of this year I spent in my apartment with my cat. 
Molly inspection her grass

My daily view in The Nest

Once Pier 1 was able to open in early June, we had a "Going Out of Business" sign on the front of the store. My second job has become, my summer job. In about three months we will close the doors for good.

Still an Optimist

Dawning my Face Shield

Social Distancing
I did sneak over to the coast to see my Grand-baby boy last weekend.
His bid says: Of Course I'm Cute! Haven't you seen my Mommy?

Grammie loves this Gig
And down in the Valley:
Ellie talking to Molly on Facebook Chat

4th of July Photo shoot

I'm so glad I snagged this off the clearance rack from Pier 1 last year
My landlady of 2015 was correct. I do have a great view of the fireworks from my balcony. Redding closed off the Civic Center where normally thousands of people would celebrate the 4th of July before settling in to watch the Fireworks. In 2015 Ian and I went down to watch. In 2016 we watched them off my balcony together. 2017, he was with friends who helped him through the worst day of his life. 2018 we had no fireworks until October,because Redding was on fire. 2019 I walked over to Hilltop Drive to watch with the crowd that had parked along the road. This year I just stayed in The Nest. After working at Pier One I rested my feet until dark. We are thankful that Redding still chose to have Fireworks this year. 
In these uncertain times, I have a lot to be grateful for: my health, my home, Molly, my family, financial stability, a great church family and my school that plans to reopen in August. I wont be using my passport to travel, but my oldest sister and I will be having a mini vacation when her youngest gets married in August. I also get to see all the grand-babies that weekend for a joint birthday party.
Three months of Staycation/Shelter in Place helped me accept my own skin. Molly and I have a routine. My main goal is to be the healthiest and most balanced as an adult to help my colleagues and students in August. We aren't out of the woods...but God is on the throne of Heaven and HE cares for me.
Inspiration Water Bottle, Who thought this up?

My best Fireworks shots











🦋


 


No comments:

Post a Comment